First post of our european travels!
A brief summary of last week: Four flights, three trains, three days and we made it! We almost made a bad decision of walking to our hotel in Milan, when we drove past it later on a shuttle bus we saw the walk would have been three miles on a tight road with no sidewalk - *whew*.
Our new flat is tidy and tight, it fits us pretty well, check it out here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/121219 . There's plenty to do in Nice, though the most amusing is getting the French to speak in English, think of a concert pianist operating a jack-hammer. To be honest, we're both catching up with our sleep - when I woke up at 9:30 today I thought I could catch 15 more minutes of sleep, then woke up again at 2 pm.
More to come, here's some pictures of our first impressions of Nice and travels.
eurolols
- After giving chelsea the 1/2 hour of prep talk "how to avoid incriminating answers with customs officers", we walked through the iceland customs without a single word. welcome to the eu.
- A burger king cashier tried to up my order by asking me (in a heavy italian accent) if I wanted different upgrades. Being thrify I denied all upgrades and asked for a cup of water. She gave me this:
- A cab driver gave me the low-down of how to attend a soccer game in Nice:. "You watch game Sunday at 5. After you go to bar, buy yourself beer, then, talk about the victory of Nice."
- Buying groceries for breakfast this morning I bid the cashier, "Bonjour" with my best french accent. I was identified as a foreigner or deaf, because she only spoke to me in sign language.
- Scooters are on sale for 500 euros, Chelsea won't let me buy one.
- Woke up at 5:30 am super hungry. Grocery store closed till 8:30 :( ate 8 packs of gummy snacks and our last bottled water.
pictures
more photos on bozar.dyndns.org
Promenade des Anglais follows along the Ocean
Buildings in Nice
La Place Massena is one one of the biggest tourist spots in nice
Hagaan-Dazs Restaurant at La Place Massena. Crepes with carmel ice cream and topped with bananas, nuts, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream-amazing
Inside the train looking out. Beautiful views along the way
Bored on all of the those layovers. But wow baby care is mouth full
Ran to the grocery store as soon as it opened to get things for breakfast. You have to bag all your items yourself there, but amazing fresh foods.
Chelsea vs the ferris wheel
View from Ferris Wheel










More picture here: http://bozar.dyndns.org/album/2013-01-13%20france
ReplyDeleteOk, so let me make sure I understand this; you two flew all the way to Italy and France, home of the world's finish cuisine and fresh food, then ate at Burger King! Am I missing something?
ReplyDeleteHaha. It was in the Milan train station, we just had to eat quick. When everything is in a different language and your not even sure what they sell sometimes its a relief to see a Burger King. However we have a grocery store right next to us that has incredible everything(but for about twice the price as well:)
ReplyDeleteHi Bryce and Chelsea! Our home teacher suggested you visit these places because they are very nice and quite close.
ReplyDeleteSwitzerland: Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey, Gruyeve
Narbone
Monaco
When is your sister's birthday? Should I take the present to her now?
ReplyDeleteThanks so much. I know we will probably visit Monaco since its like twenty minutes away but we will take a look at the other places. Its January 29th. I just e-mailed my mom to remind her but if she doesn't get it today that would be awesome if you could. Thanks so much! I hope all is well. I hear you guys are getting much done there! I cant wait to see it.
ReplyDeleteExcellent update! Order your steak "bien quit" (well done). Or "brule" (burned). They would probably laugh because all French know that Americans ruin their meat by cooking it too long.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll enjoy visiting Rome where you don't have to specify how to cook the pasta.