Monday, January 21, 2013

Nice and Marseille

   Week two and we are starting two get a lot more comfortable and familiar with Nice and living in France. Bryce started work again beginning last week. Our schedule usually consists of waking up way too late because of our jetlag, running by the beach, and then usually seeing something new in Nice. Then at 2:00pm we get started with our work and school until 10:00pm where we then retire to our bed to watch an episode of Downton Abbey(very hard to do when Netflix and Hulu dont work here). Then we TRY to sleep for a long time only to fall asleep about one or two. 
   Every weekend we are going to try to visit a different place, so last weekend it was Marseille and this upcoming weekend is Rome.  It was pretty windy and freezing and then later rained in Marseille, but was still a fun experience. There were two major places we wanted to see: the Cathédrale de la Major, a huge byzantine-roman styled cathedral built in the 1800s, and Chateau d'if, a prison that was built in 1524 that became famous as the prison Edmund Dantes went to in The Count of Monte Cristo. We were however unable to visit Chateau d'if (after asking four different times:) because of the bad weather. I should probably mention it is on an island that you have to boat to. We were able to visit the Cathedrale de la Major and took a tour bus that lead up to Notre-Dame de la Garde, a basilica on top of a hill that overlooked the city. We also we able to try some fine French cuisine.  
    A lot happens in one week as you can tell so we might be doing two blog posts a week. We will keep you updated. Hope you enjoy the pictures and all is well back home! more pictures on bozar.dyndns.org


Eurolols:

 - Tried my steak 'medium' today, "because I am in France, I should eat like the French."  I will be having 'well done' for the rest of my life. 

- Chelsea and I were determined to beat jet lag today and wake up on time for church. We got up 3 hours late then visited a catholic cathedral, which counts as church.

- Got a fountain drink today that had no syrup.  Can't tell the cashier because I don't know how.  I enjoyed the carbonated water. 

- Dirty Eminem song playing at McDonalds.  Children love the beat.

- Turned on the tap to wash my lunch plate because I am a good husband.  No water came out, so I laid it in the sink.  May everyone know I attempted to do dishes.

- I said my first successful phrase in french: "je ne parle pas francias".  I'm so happy.

- The toilet made a sound resembling a 747 during takeoff.  Chelsea ran out of the bathroom stark nude and yelled at me (as if we were in an earthquake) to investigate.  We have three explanations: 1. someone dumped a crapload of poprocks down the toilet, 2. the toilet drainpipes were being cleaned, or 3. the toilet is haunted by an obnoxious moaning myrtle.

Places:

Cathédrale de la Major

Model of the Cathedral







Notre-Dame de la Garde







Chateau d'if 
As close as we could get to it
Boat to Chateau d'if


Food:
Bryce's Steak
carmel crepes and what Bryce likes to call chocolate soup
Pizza place right across the street from our apartment, and the only drinks we could communicate
Random Places and Things:
Visited the contemporary art museum in Nice,  almost all the art there was 100% terrifying


 


Us last week:










                                   








1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! Sarah and I love that red dress at the last. You take some great pictures, and the eurolols are hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete